Friday, August 29, 2014

Chicken Fajita Omelette Recipe

Chicken Fajita Omelette
Chicken Fajita Omelette

Every time we go to IHOP, Greg would order the chicken fajita omelette. I would take a few bites from his plate, but never order one on my own as it is just too huge for me. The omelette is very delicious. However, it has a whopping 1,050 calories! That is way too many calories in one meal for me to handle. I HAD to make my own healthier version at home. Luckily, it wasn't too difficult to figure out how to make this.

I got the nutrition facts for IHOP's omelette off their website, and my healthier version with the help of MyFitnessPal app. Please note that I did not include the jalapeno and sour cream in the nutrition facts for mine.


Chicken Fajita OmeletteChicken Fajita Omelette
No prizes for guessing which one is IHOP's and which one is mine.


I could have further reduced the calories by replacing all 4 eggs with liquid egg substitute, but I like the taste of real eggs. So I only replaced 2 eggs with liquid egg whites, as that is what we usually have at home.

I'm happy with how my omelette turned out. It is much healthier with way fewer calories than IHOP's, but still tasty!


Chicken Fajita Omelette

Chicken Fajita Omelette Recipe (Inspired by IHOP)

Makes 1 omelette, serves 1


  • INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil 
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/4 cup diced green pepper
  • 1 small jalapeno, sliced (optional)
  • 4 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon fajita seasoning mix
    (Made my own using this recipe, salt omitted.)
  • 2 eggs + 1/3 cup liquid egg whites, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons reduced fat shredded cheese
    (I used sharp cheddar, you could use Mexican four cheese.)
  • 2 tablespoons salsa
    (I used Newman's Own Medium Salsa.)
  • Sour cream (optional)

Chicken Fajita Omelette Ingredients
What you'll need


DIRECTIONS:


STEP 1

Heat 1 teaspoon of olive  oil in a small skillet over medium heat. While the skillet is heating up, season chicken with fajita seasoning mix. Add onion, green pepper and jalapeno to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. 


STEP 2

Add seasoned chicken to skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Stir frequently. Set aside once done.


STEP 3

Heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook until egg mixture is set, but top is still slightly moist, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat.


STEP 4

Sprinkle cheese down the middle of the omelette. Place chicken and veggies on top of cheese. Loosen omelette with spatula. Fold one side over center, followed by the other side.


STEP 5

Carefully transfer omelette to a plate. Top with salsa. 





NOTES & TIPS:


If you're using a non-stick skillet, you could use the same medium skillet to cook everything. I use stainless steel cookware, so I prefer to use separate skillets as food sticks, and you want a clean surface when you're cooking the omelette.

Also, you could use cooking spray instead of oil. I don't use cooking spray on my stainless steel cookware as it supposedly leaves a residue that is hard to remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment