Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup

I love soup, especially when it's cold outside. But for some reason, I don't make it often. I believe I have made soup only five times in the past year, and only two kinds. Broccoli cheese soup is one. The other is ABC soup, which is made with chicken, carrots, potatoes and tomatoes.

I like to tell myself that this soup is healthy because of the broccoli and carrots. But it's actually somewhat sinful because of the butter, half & half, and cheese. I ended up making substitutions, so I won't feel so guilty when I'm eating it. Despite the lower fat content, the taste and texture of the soup are still good.

I got the original broccoli cheese soup recipe here.


Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe 

Makes 4 bowls


  • INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup half & half + 1 cup skim milk
    (I substituted half of the half & half with milk, in order to reduce fat and calories.)
  • 2 cups chicken stock
    (I used low sodium.)
  • 1/2 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
  • 1 cup julienned carrots
  • 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    (I used reduced fat.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:


STEP 1

In a small skillet, melt butter and sauté onion until softened. Set aside. 


STEP 2

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the flour. Use a whisk to stir the flour constantly, breaking up any lumps and distributing it evenly through the melted butter. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes.


STEP 3

Add half & half, milk and chicken stock. Stir everything together. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.


STEP 4

Add broccoli, carrots and reserved onion. Cook for 20 minutes.


STEP 5

Add cheese, stir and let it melt. Stir in nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, if you wish. Turn off heat.


NOTES & TIPS:


If you would like to puree the soup, you could do it after step 4. I choose not to, because I like the little chunks of broccoli. Plus, it is too much trouble to transfer the soup to a blender/food processor. If you have an immersion blender, it would be a lot more convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment